Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Randy Pausch's Last Lecture

Let me first say that I think everyone should check this out. My heart goes out to Randy and his family. What a positive thing to do with what time you have left, I am not sure I've seen something so inspiring. In his lecture he talks about his childhood dreams, how he believes he's been able to enable the dreams of others, and lessons learned. It is truly amazing the drive and will power this man has (even now in his last few months with us).
One of these lessons learned is the brick wall theory. We all set goals and want things in life but how badly? That is where this brick wall comes in to play. Either you want it so badly that you knock down this wall and get it or you give up when you hit it. Another point he makes is to help others, however it may be, help others. Randy believes in karma- what goes around comes around.
NEVER GIVE UP! This is universal, however Randy has some great background here. For example he was not accepted right away at Brown or graduate school but never gave up, he wanted it and pushed through the brick wall that was put up and made it happen. Randy also lectures about showing gratitude, don't complain; just work harder (I personally really like this one and try really hard to follow it though it is not always easy).
His most important lesson I think was the "head fake". Have fun when you are learning and you may not realize everything that you are actually learning. Things may not always be what they seem. Wow! The end of his lecture got me in tears! Need I say more?
Thank you Dr. Pausch

1 comment: